|Archduke Karl Ludwig|
|Spouse||Princess Margaretha of Saxony|
|House||House of Habsburg-Lorraine|
|Father||Archduke Franz Karl of Austria|
|Mother||Princess Sophie of Bavaria|
|Born||30 July 1833(1863-12-18)|
Schönbrunn Palace, Vienna, Austrian Empire
|Died||19 May 1896 (aged 62)|
Schönbrunn Palace, Vienna, Austria-Hungary
|Monarchical Styles of Archduke Karl Ludwig of Austria|
|Reference style||His Imperial and Royal Highness|
|Spoken style||Your Imperial and Royal Highness|
Archduke Karl Ludwig Joseph Maria of Austria (30 July 1833 – 19 May 1896) was the younger brother of Franz Joseph I of Austria (1830-1916) and the father of Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria (1863-1914), whose assassination ignited the start of World War I.
He was born at Schönbrunn in Vienna, the son of Archduke Franz Karl of Austria (1802-1878) and his wife Sophie of Bavaria (1805-1872). His siblings included Franz Joseph, Emperor of Austria and Maximilian (1832-1867), the executed Emperor of Mexico.
After the death of his nephew Crown Prince Rudolf of Austria (1858-1889), he became heir presumptive to Austro-Hungarian Empire but renounced his succession rights a few days later in favour of his eldest son Franz Ferdinand.
He married three times.
His first wife, whom he married on 4 November 1856 at Dresden, was his first cousin Margaretha of Saxony (1840-1858), the daughter of Johann of Saxony (1801-1873) and Amalie Auguste of Bavaria (1801-1877). She died on 15 September 1858 and they had no children.
His second wife, whom he married by proxy on 16 October 1862 at Rome, and in person on 21 October 1862 at Venice, was Princess Maria Annunciata of Bourbon-Two Sicilies (1843-1871), daughter of Ferdinand II of the Two Sicilies (1810-1859) and Maria Theresa of Austria (1816-1867).
They had four children:
- Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria (1863-1914). Married morganatically to Sophie Chotek; had issue.
- Archduke Otto Franz of Austria (1865-1906). Married Maria Josepha of Saxony; had issue including Karl I of Austria.
- Archduke Ferdinand Karl of Austria (1868-1915). Married morganatically to Bertha Czuber; no issue.
- Archduchess Margarete Sophie of Austria (1870-1902). Married Albrecht, Duke of Württemberg; had issue.
Maria Annunciata died on 4 May 1871.
His third wife, whom he married on 23 July 1873 at Kleinheubach, was Infanta Maria Theresa of Portugal (1855-1944), daughter of Miguel I of Portugal (1802-1866) and Adelaide of Löwenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg (1831-1909).
They had two daughters:
- Archduchess Maria Annunziata of Austria (1876-1961). Abbess of the Theresia Convent in the Hradschin, Prague.
- Archduchess Elisabeth Amalie of Austria (1878-1960). Married Prince Aloys of Liechtenstein; had issue including Franz Joseph II of Liechtenstein.
- ↑ The Crown Prince’s SuccessorNew York Times. 1889-02-02
- ↑ Margarete Karoline Prinzessin von Sachsen ibid.
- ↑ Children of Karl Ludwig Joseph Maria Erzherzog von Österreich and Marie Annunciade di Borbone, Principessa di Borbone della Due Sicilie ibid.
- ↑ Marie Annunciade di Borbone, Principessa di Borbone della Due Sicilie ibid.
- ↑ Children of Karl Ludwig Joseph Maria Erzherzog von Österreich and Maria Teresa da Immaculda de Bragança, Infanta de Portugal ibid.
- ↑ Maria Teresa da Immaculda de Bragança, Infanta de Portugal ibid.